Click here to see the December Community Service Opportunities.
What an Opportunity!
Fall Volunteer Opportunities! Click below to go to the PDF
Congratulations to these Community Service Superstars! They have completed over 250 hours of Community Service!
- Senior, Carlos Lopez - 508 hours
- Junior, Phillip Park - 481.5 hours
- Junior, Zaid Batarseh - 512 hours
- Senior, Lizandra Ruiz - 387 hours
- Senior, Diana Huipe - 349 hours
- Junior Manuel Morales - 331.5 hours
- Junior, Lesley Martin - 290 hours
- Senior, Sarah Catania - 273.5 hours
- Junior, Lara Farinsky - 256 hours
- Junior, Lizandra Ruiz - 252 hours
We are looking for Student Poll workers for Election Day - SIgn up at the Community Service Office
County Registrar of Voters is preparing for the Presidential General Election on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. This election provides high school students a unique educational opportunity to volunteer as poll workers on Election Day and discover firsthand how the American electoral process works. Our Student Poll Worker Program continues to grow and has become a valuable resource to the community and election process. Students from Orange County high schools have the opportunity to be part of a historical election while also engaging and making a difference in their communities.
Come sign up at the Community Service Office. Applications can be picked up at the CS office or apply on-line at ocvote.com/volunteer
Student Poll Workers receive a paid stipend of $120 for volunteering on Election Day and attending mandatory training!
Qualifications to Participate as a Student Poll Worker:
- U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident by Election Day
- Minimum age of 16 years old by Election Day
- Currently enrolled as a high school student
- Good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Have permission from a parent/guardian and high school
Community Service - Do you have your 40 hours completed?
What is the community service requirement?
Students must serve a minimum of 40 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation from Newport-Mesa Unified School District. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours per year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What is the purpose of the community service requirement?
The purpose of the community service program is to provide all N-MUSD high school students the opportunity to have a positive impact on our local community while learning that service to others is an on-going part of life.
It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours each year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What qualifies as community service?
- Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization.
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at your job or for a family business does not qualify.
- Court ordered community service will be accepted for up to 20 hours of the required 40 hours.
- Students can earn a maximum of 20 hours through a sport.
- Students cannot earn hours for donating items or money...only their time.
- When a student transfers from one N-MUSD school to another, the community service hours will be forwarded to the receiving school.
- The community service requirement will be prorated for students transferring into an N-MUSD high school (5 hours per semester of attendance).
How do I prove my community service hours?
Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the Counseling Office as well as on our website.