There are a lot of great Community Service Opportunities!
Click here to see the March Community Service Opportunities.
May 1 is the deadline to turn in your Community Service Hours for the 2016-2017 school year.
· This is the Senior (12th graders) deadline for the graduation requirement!
· This is the deadline for hours to count towards awards for the 2016-2017 year.
By May 1:
¨ Seniors should have at least 40 hours of Community Service
¨ Juniors should have at least 30 hours of Community Service
¨ Sophomores should have at least 20 hours of Community Service
¨ Freshman should have at least 10 hours of Community Service
Great opportunities to volunteer!
It’s time to get Community Service hours!
- Get Money Smart! Come to a Financial Literacy Workshop on Thursday, March 23rd 2017. The workshop will be during 8th period in the library. You will earn community service for attending.
- Mesa Nation Peer Mentors- Thursdays at lunch. The Mentor program provides many opportunities for general education students, as well as students with diverse needs through fun, games, music and hanging out! There is a mandatory orientation meeting on Wednesday, March 22 at 8 am in room 134.
- Teens Give Back-Earn hours helping clean-up Fairview park on Saturday, April 1 from 8 am-12 pm. We have a bus that will take us there and bring us back!
- Community Run - At Fairview Park & Estancia High School. Friday, April 21 from 4 p.m. & Saturday, April 22. We need lots of help!
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) - Become a CERT member by attending these courses (7 Thursday Evening) Hours 6-9:30 pm beginning March 30 - May 11.
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) - Become a CERT member by attending these courses. April 7, 8 & 9 (Weekend) Friday evening hours 6-10 pm and both weekend days 8:30 am to 4:30 am.
Go to the Community Service office to sign up and get more information!
Remember Senior, May 1st is the deadline to get all your hours turned in for your graduation requirement!
Congratulations to these Community Service Superstars! They have completed over 250 hours of Community Service!
- Senior, Carlos Lopez - 508 hours
- Junior, Phillip Park - 481.5 hours
- Junior, Zaid Batarseh - 512 hours
- Senior, Lizandra Ruiz - 387 hours
- Senior, Diana Huipe - 349 hours
- Junior Manuel Morales - 331.5 hours
- Junior, Lesley Martin - 290 hours
- Senior, Sarah Catania - 273.5 hours
- Junior, Lara Farinsky - 256 hours
- Junior, Lizandra Ruiz - 252 hours
Community Service - Do you have your 40 hours completed?
What is the community service requirement?
Students must serve a minimum of 40 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation from Newport-Mesa Unified School District. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours per year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What is the purpose of the community service requirement?
The purpose of the community service program is to provide all N-MUSD high school students the opportunity to have a positive impact on our local community while learning that service to others is an on-going part of life.
It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours each year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What qualifies as community service?
- Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization.
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at your job or for a family business does not qualify.
- Court ordered community service will be accepted for up to 20 hours of the required 40 hours.
- Students can earn a maximum of 20 hours through a sport.
- Students cannot earn hours for donating items or money...only their time.
- When a student transfers from one N-MUSD school to another, the community service hours will be forwarded to the receiving school.
- The community service requirement will be prorated for students transferring into an N-MUSD high school (5 hours per semester of attendance).
How do I prove my community service hours?
Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the Counseling Office as well as on our website.