We need student volunteers! Get community service hours!
We are looking for 10-15 students to volunteer during the Summer School Reading Program July6 & 7 and July 13-August 13, Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. If you are interested, please email Mr. Gall at email@example.com.
Students can also help at the CMHS parking lots during the fair. The fair begins on July 17 through August 14. The shifts that students can volunteer for begin at 8:00 a.m. through 11:00 p.m. For more information please email Katrina Foley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Now! Lots of non-profits are looking for volunteers!
Ability First is looking for volunteers. They have after-school programs, weekly clubs, Friday Night Socials and Saturday Programs. They are located near Paularino Elementary. Please contact Joy Thomas at email@example.com for questions and to volunteer.
Fairview Developmental Center is offering it’s Jr. Volunteer program again this summer for teens 14 years and up in need of their community service hours. This is a wonderful opportunity for students to use their time, talents, and energy in the service of the developmentally disabled persons living at Fairview. Those who are willing to volunteer will gain much in return. The Jr. Volunteer positions are mainly in office settings, but we do have limited opportunities to assist in direct care of our clients in classroom settings and during special programs. Volunteers can earn about 20 hours a week. For more information and to sign -up please contact Wendy Hemminger, Coordinator of Volunteer Services at Hemminger, Wendy.Hemminger@FDC.dds.ca.gov or 714-957-5188. Please note: all volunteers will need to have a TB skin test before placement. We offer them free of charge here at FDC or they are welcome to have their own doctor provide it. Students who are 18 or older will also need a Live Scan fingerprint background check, also provided by FDC.
Community Service - Do you have your 40 hours completed?
What is the community service requirement?
Students must serve a minimum of 40 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation from Newport-Mesa Unified School District. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours per year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What is the purpose of the community service requirement?
The purpose of the community service program is to provide all N-MUSD high school students the opportunity to have a positive impact on our local community while learning that service to others is an on-going part of life.
It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may acculumate more than 10 hours each year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What qualifies as community service?
- Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization.
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at your job or for a family business does not qualify.
- Court ordered community service will be accepted for up to 20 hours of the required 40 hours.
- Students can earn a maximum of 20 hours through a sport.
- Students cannot earn hours for donating items or money...only their time.
- When a student transfers from one N-MUSD school to another, the community service hours will be forwarded to the receiving school.
- The community service requirement will be prorated for students transferring into an N-MUSD high school (5 hours per semester of attendance).
How do I prove my community service hours?
Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the Counseling Office as well as on our website.