We need Volunteers!
The City of Costa Mesa is looking for Recreation Leaders In Training (RLIT). This is a great program. The sites that you would volunteer at are the local elementary schools. After completing 200 hours of Community Service volunteers can apply for the Recreation Leader position.
Seniors, you should be finishing up your 40 hours as your requirement for graduation. Your 40 hours must be completed by May 1. Get them done now. 2nd semester will be busy with Senior Exit projects and a lot of other activities!
Juniors you should be working on completing 30 hours, Sophomores need 20 and Freshman you should be working towards getting at least 10 hours.
Since Community Service is a requirement, students will need to be cleared by the Community Services Program Specialist, Mrs. Hatch before participating in ASB activities. See Mrs. Hatch for more information.
Community Service - Do you have your 40 hours completed?
What is the community service requirement?
Students must serve a minimum of 40 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation from Newport-Mesa Unified School District. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours per year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What is the purpose of the community service requirement?
The purpose of the community service program is to provide all N-MUSD high school students the opportunity to have a positive impact on our local community while learning that service to others is an on-going part of life.
It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may acculumate more than 10 hours each year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What qualifies as community service?
- Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization.
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at your job or for a family business does not qualify.
- Court ordered community service will be accepted for up to 20 hours of the required 40 hours.
- Students can earn a maximum of 20 hours through a sport.
- Students cannot earn hours for donating items or money...only their time.
- When a student transfers from one N-MUSD school to another, the community service hours will be forwarded to the receiving school.
- The community service requirement will be prorated for students transferring into an N-MUSD high school (5 hours per semester of attendance).
How do I prove my community service hours?
Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the Counseling Office as well as on our website.