Volunteer at SOCO December 19th-21st!
There are a lot of opportunities to volunteer at SOCO this weekend, December 19th-21st. SOCO is located at 3313 Hyland Avenue, Costa Mesa. They are looking for students to help with gift wrapping. Gift wrapping is donation based and the money raised will all benefit Project Hope Alliance.
Please sign up with Mrs. Hatch at the Community Service office. Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Community Service - Do you have your 40 hours completed?
What is the community service requirement?
Students must serve a minimum of 40 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation from Newport-Mesa Unified School District. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours per year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What is the purpose of the community service requirement?
The purpose of the community service program is to provide all N-MUSD high school students the opportunity to have a positive impact on our local community while learning that service to others is an on-going part of life.
It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may acculumate more than 10 hours each year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What qualifies as community service?
- Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization.
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at your job or for a family business does not qualify.
- Court ordered community service will be accepted for up to 20 hours of the required 40 hours.
- Students can earn a maximum of 20 hours through a sport.
- Students cannot earn hours for donating items or money...only their time.
- When a student transfers from one N-MUSD school to another, the community service hours will be forwarded to the receiving school.
- The community service requirement will be prorated for students transferring into an N-MUSD high school (5 hours per semester of attendance).
How do I prove my community service hours?
Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the Counseling Office as well as on our website.
How Many Hours do You Have?
The September Volunteer Opportunities Newletter is available on schoolloop! Check it out!
Seniors - You should have 30 hour by now and 40 to graduate. Hopefully you get them in ASAP!
Juniors - You should have 20 by now, but it is suggested that you get all 40 hours done before you start your senior year!
Sophomores - You should have 10 hours by now! Get those hours done!
Freshman - You should be working to get 10 hours done! Check out the volunteer opportunities available to you!
Volunteering is a great thing! Do it now!
The Crossing Church is Looking for Volunteers!
The Crossing Church is looking for volunteers! Call Jorge Moscoso, Facilities Manager at 949.764.1637 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.