To provide a proactive, comprehensive school counseling program focusing on what all students should know, understand and be able to demonstrate in the academic, career, and personal/social domains.
Empowering all students and their families with the knowledge, skills, and responsibilities to be prepared for college, career, and life beyond high school
At CMHS/MS, our goal is to help students navigate through the middle and high school process as well as provide them with a positive career exploration and college admission experience. We will do whatever it takes for students to get the attention that they deserve to reach their individual goals.
For struggling students, we will facilitate intervention strategies and provide available resources to ensure that they have the opportunity to regain success.
All students who graduate from Costa Mesa High School/Middle School will have had the opportunity to successfully develop communication skills, academic accountability, career direction, and personal growth. Additionally, they will have had the opportunity to become independent thinkers and problem solvers in their path to become active and committed citizens within their communities.
-The CMHS Counseling Department.
COSTA MESA HIGH SCHOOL
New Counselor Assignments
After much discussion and consideration we have decided to adjust and realign our counselor assignments to enhance our ability to meet the needs of our Costa Mesa High School students and families. Beginning with the 2014-2015 school year, counselors will be assigned alphabetically to students in grades 9 through 12 based on the students’ last name. By doing this, counselors will be able to meet with and follow students throughout their entire 4-year high school career. High school counselors will also be able to meet with and get to know all siblings and parents. This family approach is designed to enhance the quality of the counselor’s responsive services and support a team approach within the counseling and guidance department.
The Costa Mesa High School Counselor Assignments are:
Megan Swanek: All 7th and 8th Graders (firstname.lastname@example.org 714-424-8756)
Jeff Gall: High School A-G (email@example.com 714-424-8723)
Janice Duzey: High School H-O (firstname.lastname@example.org 714-424-8755)
Jackie Stemler: High School P-Z (email@example.com 714-424-8791)
Costa Mesa High School/Middle School
- Counsel all students regarding standards-based test results, course selection, A-G college eligibility, transcript review, and evaluation/revision of 4 year academic plans through a collaborative mindset.
- Provide post-graduation advice, financial aid materials, and college/career planning.
- Identify at-risk students and coordinate parent meetings to provide education regarding intervention strategies, credit recovery, CAHSEE prep, school policies, and community resources.
- Initiate parent night regarding high school graduation and college requirements.
- Administer the PSAT test to establish a “College going culture”.
- Administer College Seminars to establish “College going culture”.
- Create a CMHS Grade Level Counseling Handbooks to provide a comprehensive data source to further assist each student in their high school and post-secondary options.
- Facilitate the NAVIANCE program with all students.
- Enhance the college/career center to allow for greater accessibility for our student body.